I have training in the Earth Sciences with A.B. and M.S. degrees in Geophysics and Geology. For over 18 years, I have also been developing my skills in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), scientific data visualization, remote sensing, programming, and data management with applications in various fields including geology, glaciology, climatology, meteorology, and conservation science. I am a highly motivated problem solver and enjoy working individually and as part of a team.
- December 2012 - present:
GIS Analyst/Geologist, Research Planning, Inc.
- July 2010 - October 2012:
Computer Systems Engineer, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- April 2008 - Present:
GIS Specialist, jencarta, LLC
- November 2010 - July 2011:
Research Associate III, Colorado State University, Precipitation Research Group
- March 2009 - September 2010:
GIS Specialist, USDA APHIS PPQ
- October 2008 - January 2009:
Research Assistant, Indiana University
- November 2007 - September 2008:
Research Associate II, Colorado State University, Fire Economics and Management Laboratory
- October 2006 - September 2007:
Graduate Research Assistant, Plymouth State University, Center for the Environment
- October 2004 - October 2006:
GIS Analyst, The Nature Conservancy of Colorado
- November 2003 - October 2004:
GIS/Remote Sensing Specialist, RMRS, USDA Forest Service
- June 2003 - November 2003:
Forestry Technician, RMRS, USDA Forest Service
- October 2002 - May 2003:
Graduate Research Assistant, AIRMAP, University of New Hampshire
- June 2002 - July 2002:
Volunteer, Catamount Institute, Woodland Park, Colorado
- November 2000 - May 2001:
Professional Research Assistant, McMurdo Dry Valleys LTER, University of Colorado
- October 1998 - October 2000:
Graduate Research Assistant, CCRC, University of New Hampshire
- July 1997 - May 1998:
Surveying Technician, U. S. Geological Survey
- October 1996 - July 1997:
Geophysicist, U. S. Geological Survey
- March 1996 - October 1996:
Staff Scientist, ENTRIX, Inc.
- February 1994 - March 1996:
Research Associate, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- September 1993 - January 1994:
Research Volunteer, U. S. Geological Survey
- January 1991 - December 1992:
Student Assistant, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- M.Sc., Environmental Science and Policy, Plymouth State University, Plymouth, New Hampshire, May 2008. Thesis title: The origin of sandy terraces in eastern Taylor Valley, Antarctica, from Ground Penetrating Radar: A test of the Glacial Lake Washburn delta interpretation
- Graduate studies in boundary layer meteorology, cloud interactions with PBL dynamics, and GIS, University of New Hampshire, 2002-2003
- Graduate studies in ice core paleoclimate and climate change research, University of New Hampshire, 1998-2000
- B.A. Geophysics, University of California, Berkeley, 1993
EXPERIENCE and SKILLS
Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Visualization, database administration, and data management:
- GIS software: ArcGIS 9.x/10.x, ArcPad, PLTS, ArcSDE, ArcIMS, ArcView 3.x, ArcInfo, QGIS, GeoTools, and GRASS GIS
- Desktop illustration and graphics software: Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop
- Visualization software: VisIt, IDL, AVS, EarthVision, Khoros, and GMT
- Database software and related applications: Microsoft Access/Excel, Oracle 9i, MySQL, and SQL Server
- Development & programming: Visual Basic .net, Python, ArcObjects, VBA, MapObjects, and ESRI Model Builder
- Examples of GIS and database achievements: mapping of earthquake deformation and stress along faults; spatial analysis of effects of shade fraction on glacier melt; real-time mapping of GPS waypoints and tracks; creating and editing geodatabases and shapefiles; vegetation mapping and analysis for fuels treatment planning and strategic fire management; geocoding; heads-up digitizing of infrastructure, vegetation boundaries, and glacial sedimentary features; conservation site planning; spatial optimization modeling; landscape and habitat suitability/integrity analysis; cumulative threats modeling; FGDC metadata creation; design of MS Access database for forest sampling; collaborative development of Windows applications for National Park Service forest fire Appropriate Management Response (AMR) in VB .net with MapObjects; development of raster manipulation and analysis tools in ArcObjects/VBA; Incident Management Team GIS Leader
Ground-Penetrating Radar (GPR) experience:
- Processing applications: RADAN NT/XP, Matlab, Seismic Unix
- Controller type: GSSI SIR-3000
- Antenna types/center frequencies: GSSI 50MHz, 100MHz, 200MHz, 400MHz, and 900MHz
- Applications: Glaciofluvial sediments in Taylor Valley, Antarctica; lacustrine sediments in Squam Lake, New Hampshire; glacial sediments in northeast Indiana; root biomass in Colorado Front Range; glacial till in Loch Vale, Colorado, active Barchan dune imaging at Kilpecker Dunes, Wyoming
Remote Sensing experience:
- Remote Sensing software: eCognition, ENVI, IDL, ERDAS Imagine, Matlab, GDAL, ArcGIS, ER Mapper, and GMT
- Data types and formats: AVIRIS, InSAR (Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar), AVHRR, LIDAR, Landsat, aerial photography (true color and color infrared), HDF, NetCDF, GRIB1, MrSid, Imagine, TIFF, ArcInfo GRID, and ESRI Shapefiles
- Applications: georeferencing, orthorectification, mosaicking, forest fuels mapping, vegetation structure classification, identification of atmospheric boundary (ABL) layer structure and ABL turbulence, and earthquake deformation analysis
GPS, EDM and other surveying experience:
- GPS equipment: Trimble, Ashtech, and military datalogger receivers and various types of tripods and antennas, various consumer handhelds, and PDA/GPS integration
- EDM and survey instrumentation: Geodimeter total station, Terrameter two-color EDM, electronic levels, VLF meters and other field equipment
- GPS and EDM processing software: Trimble Pathfinder Office, Trimble TerraSync, DNR Garmin, Ashtech Office Suite, GIPSY, and Spectra Precision GeoTools
- Data applications: topographic, hydrographic, boundary, and control point surveys; location/navigation
General hardware and software experience:
- Operating systems: MacOS, Windows, UNIX, Linux, DOS, and others
- Graphing and statistical software: Matlab, IDL, GMT, Surfer, SigmaPlot, R, and Kaleidograph
Recent field experiences:
- Salt marsh erosion and invertbrate surveys, Bay Jimmy, Louisiana, September 2014
- Ground-Penetrating Radar (GPR) and GPS surveys of aeolian dunes in Killpecker Dunes, WY, September 2010
- GPR and GPS surveys of glacial moraines in northeastern Indiana, January 2009
- Ground-Penetrating Radar (GPR) surveys of soil and glacial till in RMNP and Pingree Park, August 2008
- Participated in a Ground-Penetrating Radar (GPR), GIS and GPS survey of glacial moraine sediments in Antarctica in November-December 2006
- GPR and GPS survey of Squam Lake, New Hampshire September 2006
- Data collection in the Front Range as part of an ongoing tree species composition, fire history and stand structure study, June-September 2003
- Field trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota with Rocky Mountain Tree-Ring Research, Inc., as part of a fire history study, June 2002
- Historical and current forest structure studies at the Catamount Institute in Woodland, Park, Colorado, Fall 2001
- Participated in a Ground-Penetrating Radar (GPR), GIS and GPS survey of glacial moraine sediments in Antarctica in October-December 1999
- Participated in a collaborative ice coring project in the St. Elias Mountains, Yukon Territories, Canada, in August 1999
Recent educational experiences, training and conferences:
- Society for Conservation GIS (SCGIS) Annual Conference, Monterey, CA, June 22-25, 2016
- ESRI Ocean GIS Forum, Redlands, CA, November 1-3, 2016
- GeoDev Meeting, Fort Collins, CO, June 11, 2015
- NoCo GIS Users Group Meeting, Fort Collins, CO, March 24, 2015
- American Geophysical Union (AGU) 2011 Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA, December 5-9, 2011
- FOSS4G Conference, Denver, CO, September 12-16, 2011
- ESRI International Users Conference 2009, San Diego, CA, July 13-17, 2009
- American Geophysical Union (AGU) 2008 Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA, December 15-19, 2008
- American Geophysical Union (AGU) 2007 Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA, December 10-14, 2007
- GPR class for Archaeological Mapping with Dr. Larry Conyers, University of Denver, Colorado, May 4-6, 2007
- Society for Conservation GIS Annual Conference (included training in using ArcGIS ModelBuilder and building geodatabases), Monterey, CA, July 30 - August 1, 2005
- National Hydrography Dataset (NHD) Workshop, USGS, Denver, CO, May 18, 2005
- Weed Information Management System (WIMS) Training, TNC Boulder via WebEx, May - June 2005
- TNC Metadata Training, Boulder, CO, February 22-23, 2005: Creating metadata using FGDC and TNC standards
- TNC Enhanced 5S Training, Boulder, CO, December 9-10, 2005
- Conservation Informatics Conference (included ArcObjects training) hosted by The Nature Conservancy at the Conservation Training Center, Shepherdstown, VA, September 30 - October 1, 2004
- ESRI Virtual Campus courses completed (July-August 2004): Creating and Editing Geodatabase Features (for ArcEditor and ArcInfo), Introduction to Visual Basic 6, and Programming with Avenue
- Tenth Biennial USDA Forest Service Remote Sensing Applications Conference, Salt Lake City, UT, April 5-9, 2004
- Spectral Analysis with ENVI, Research Systems, Inc., Boulder, CO, February 3-6, 2004
- Introduction to ArcIMS, certified ESRI training center, Danvers, MA, November 18-20, 2002
- ArcSDE for Oracle Administration, certified ESRI training center, Danvers, MA, November 11-15, 2002
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) 2: Modeling Applications graduate course, University of Colorado, Boulder, Geography Department, Spring 2001
Awards and Certifications:
- GISCI GIS Professional (GISP) Certification, 2011
- Certificate of Appreciation and Award for contribution to the 2010 Grasshopper Suppression Program, USDA, October 2010
- Certificate of Appreciation and Award for exceptional efforts in providing service area support, USDA, September, 2010
- Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS), 1992
- Mineralogy Society Award, 1991
- Languages: advanced French, beginner Spanish, and beginner Portuguese
- Photography: medium format and 35 mm; film and digital; landscapes, people, plants, and abstract
- Outdoor activities: triathlons, hiking, skiing, canoeing, SCUBA and others
PUBLICATIONS, POSTERS and VIDEOS
- Bejarano, Adriana C., C. Anna Toline, Jennifer L. Horsman, Esteban Zarza-González, Kelly Cogollo, "A climate change vulnerability framework for Corales del Rosario y San Bernardo National Natural Park, Colombia", Climate Research. Prepress abstract. doi:10.3354/cr01401.
- Berg, Wesley K., Mathew R. P. Sapiano, Jennifer Horsman, and Christian D. Kummerow, "Improved Geolocation and Earth Incidence Angle Information for a Fundamental Climate Data Record of the SSM/I Sensors", IEEE T. Geoscience and Remote Sensing 51(3-1): 1504-1513, March, 2013.
- Houck, Karen J., Jonathan A. Funk, Robert M. Kirkham, Christopher J. Carroll, and Alyssa D. Heberton-Morimoto with Cartography by Jennifer L. Horsman, "Marmot Peak Quadrangle Geologic Map, Park and Chaffee Counties, Colorado", published map of the Colorado Geological Survey, 2012.
- Berg, W, M. Sapiano, C. Kummerow, J. Horsman, and F. Weng, "A Fundamental Climate Data Record of Intercalibrated Brightness Temperature Data From SSM/I and SSMIS", poster at IGARSS 2011, Vancouver, Canada, July 24-29, 2011.
- Williamson, M., J. Meza, D. Moulton, I. Gorton, M. Freshley, P. Dixon, R. Seitz, C. Steefel, S. Finsterle, S. Hubbard, M. Zhu, K. Gerdes, R. Patterson, Y. T. Collazo et al., "Advanced Simulation Capability for Environmental Management (ASCEM): An overview of initial results", Vol. 13, pp 175-199, Technology and Innovation, 2011
- Prentice, M. L., S. A. Arcone, J. L. Horsman, E. A. Medley, J. D. Toner, R. Sletten, and K. Shoemaker, "Response of the Ross Sea Ice Sheet to the Last Deglaciation: New Evidence from Taylor Valley, Antarctica", poster at AGU Fall 2009 Meeting, San Francisco, CA, December 16, 2009.
- Prentice, M. L., S. A. Arcone, J. Horsman, E. A. Medley, J. D. Toner, R. Sletten, and K. Shoemaker (2009), "Response of the Ross Sea Ice Sheet to the Last Deglaciation: New Evidence from Taylor Valley, Antarctica", Eos Trans. AGU, 90(52), Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract C23A-0492
- Hall, Sharon. J., Peter. J. Marchand. Effects of stand density on ecosystem properties of subalpine forests in the southern Rocky Mountains, USA. Annals of Forest Science, Springer Verlag/EDP Sciences, 2010, 67 (1) (acknowledgement)
- Hubbard, S., B. Faybishenko, M. Freshley et al., "ASCEM Phase I Demonstration Plan", ASCEM-SITE-102010-0, December 2010
- Prentice, M. L., S. A. Arcone, M. G. Curren, A. J. Delaney, J. Horsman, S. L. Letsinger, E. A. Medley, and J. R. Gaynor (2008), "Stratigraphy and Geomorphology of Late Pleistocene Moraine at the Mouth of Taylor Valley, Antarctica: Implications for the Melting History of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet During the Last Deglaciation", Eos Trans. AGU, 89(53), Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract C31C-0504
- Horsman, J.L., "The origin of sandy terraces in eastern Taylor Valley, Antarctica, from Ground Penetrating Radar: A test of the Glacial Lake Washburn delta interpretation", unpublished MSc Thesis, Plymouth State University, September 2008.
- Horsman, J. L., M. L. Prentice, S. A. Arcone, and A. J. Delaney (2007), "Ground-Penetrating Radar Studies of Late Pleistocene-Holocene Lacustrine Deltas in Lower Taylor Valley, Antarctica: Implications for Lake History", Eos Trans. AGU, 88(52), Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract NS33A-08
- Arcone, S. A., A. J. Delaney, M. L. Prentice, and J. L. Horsman, "GPR Reflection Profiles of Sedimentary Deposits in Lower Taylor Valley, Antarctica", 12th International Conference on Ground Penetrating Radar, June 15-19, 2008, Birmingham, UK.
- Delaney, A.J., J.L. Horsman, M.L. Prentice, S.A. Arcone, "Multi-frequency ground-penetrating radar method for revealing complex sedimentary facies". IEEE 4th International Workshop on Advanced Ground Penetrating Radar, 27-29 June 2007.
- Prentice and Horsman, "PBL Insights from July 15 to August 15, 2002 Based on 6 Second Radiosonde Data"
- Prentice, Michael, Arcone, Steve, Ackert, Robert, Delaney, Allan, Kurz, Mark, Horsman, Jennifer, and Fredin, Ola, "Stadial-scale drift stratigraphy for the West Antarctic ice-sheet", GSA Annual Meeting, November 5-8, 2001.
- Myer, L., Jacobsen, J., Horsman, J., Fredrich, J., Wawersik, W., Arguello, J., Bruno, M., Qian, H., "Use of visualization techniques in analysis of well failures in diatomite reservoirs", The Leading Edge, journal for the SEG, March 1996.
- Myer, L., Jacobsen, J., Horsman, J., Fredrich, J., Wawersik, W., Bruno, M., Qian, H., "Analysis and Reduction of Well Failures in Diatomite Reservoirs", presented along with video of animated data at the 1995 SEG International Exposition and Annual Meeting, October 1995, Houston, Texas.
- Jacobsen, J., Horsman, J., and Holland, P., 3-D visualization of data from the INEL Large-Scale Infiltration Test, presented at the Technologies for Characterization Forum Workshop, ER '95, August 17, 1995, Denver, Colorado.
- Horsman, J., Bethel, W., "Methods of Constructing a 3-D Geological Model from Scatter Data", AVS '95 Conference Proceedings, March 1995, pp. 395-404, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Horsman, J., Vasco, D. W., Johnson, L. R., and Pulliam, R. J., "Tomographic Inversion of Iasp91 P, PP, S, and SS Travel Time Residuals", poster presented at the 1992 American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, December 1992, San Francisco, California.